커뮤니티

전달 / Re: Vacancy on the BMTA Board

jhp
2008.03.25 12:56 4,102 0

본문

보낸사람: SGR Rock
받는사람: Linda Davis; members08@bmta.org

Linda (all),

I was not going to respond at first as I am leaving out to get back on the trail. But I
decided to go ahead and respond since I was just informed my membership is due
this month and I am still in serious doubt about my continued participation. This is
something I’ll have to think about with some seriousness while out there on the trail.

Perception becomes reality, and the perception has been that a person trying to get
some new items pushed into the organization was met by resistance in the old guard
of the club. I saw those rules, and while there were some new ideas in there, I saw
nothing which was so controversial it required all this subterfuge – it looks more like
resistance to change. But then the old guard of the club stopped the new changes
(based on the e-mail traffic that was supposed to be board only last year but got sent
to general members), and then at the meeting a shuffle of the ballot was done at the
last minute to put some people into positions of power. I’m sure the other members
of the board (the nine) see it differently, but apparently not everyone on the board did
because some voted no, some abstained, and some were not even told about the vote.
The perception is the nine votes were found (the votes needed) and then the meeting
for the vote was called to confirm what the nine wanted. This is the perception on this
end, and based on what I read last night I am not alone in this.

If this situation was so delicate, then it was handled extremely poorly by the people
on the board including the new president (or old president new again). This whole
sequence of events does very little to reassure me that the board can handle things
diplomatically as you point out they are trying to do. It looks more like a poorly run group
more interested in keeping with the old ways they are comfortable with and edging out
anyone that disagrees with them. And keeping other board members that may descent
from voting on the dismissal of one of their members (or even knowing about it) only
furthers the belief that there is a small clique in charge and is continuing its own
existence. I may have actually disagreed (extremely) with how Bill went about things
with the last issue of the newsletter he was responsible for, but I am starting to see
why he may have done it the way he did. If things were so delicate, then the response
was certainly less than delicate.

And as I said before, that has rattled my trust in the president; she nominated herself
and was at the head of switching the ballots. Then she immediately put the new rules
on hold, and in the end it was she that got the vote to have Bill removed and all the
subterfuge with that. If I continue my membership, she will not have my trust in the
future if she continues to operate as president. And in saying that, I wonder how in
my right mind, I could continue my membership if I cannot trust the president? I may
not be alone in that thought.

Ernest Engman

MSG (Retired) US Army

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Monday, March 24, 2008 5:21 AM
To: SGT Rock
Subject: Re: Vacancy on the BMTA Board

Hi Ernest,

I am the Tennessee Representative for the BMTA, and I have met you and your
wonderful family on a number of occasions. I hiked with you all at the BMTA annual
meeting

I well understand your perplexity and your loyalty too. I have counted Diana and Bill
among my best friends. This has all been heartbreaking.

I was particularly disturbed, though, by the perception you may have of the role in this
played by our president, Betty Petty. While it's true, the situation of the annual meeting
may have been confusing, Betty played no part in that, and in fact, handled what was
a tremendously confusing and difficult situation for her with admirable poise and
diplomacy.

I'm sure you know Jeffrey Hunter. I would encourage you to have a chat with him,
if you can, in order to get a "bird's eye view" from an objective party, if you will. There
really aren't villains here, just interactions gone south to the point of no return, it seems.
I see much of the brunt of this undeservedly falling on Betty,and that's what moved me
to write (my first reply of this kind to a member. I don't think we dismiss the views
of members, far from it, however, the board members, I think, are also exercising
admirable restraint in an attempt to avoid worsening an already deeply troubling
situation).

I hope this helps somewhat; every thing you say about Bill and Diana is true, and I, too,
pray that somehow, we can all rise above all this.

Linda

----- Original Message -----

To: 'Betty J Petty' ; members08@bmta.org
Sent: Sunday, March 23, 2008 11:31 PM

Subject: RE: Vacancy on the BMTA Board

I’ve been out thru-hiking so forgive me for being behind on the news.

As JUST a member and JUST a maintainer I find it very sad. Bill and Diana were the
most energized members I have met since joining. I was very confused at the meeting
and felt something weird was going on when the elections were rearranged and
positions shuffled on the night of the meeting. Now I understand why. My continued
participation with the BMTA is now in doubt, and if I do continue I will not trust the
current president again. I am shocked at the way this entire thing has gone down.

I find it highly regretful that just when I was getting excited about joining and increasing
my participation after getting back from Iraq, the main folks to make me feel welcome
and to help get me started at the BMTA are treated this way. I hope this e-mail registers
something more than dismissal in the minds of the board. I think they should re-think
this entire position.

Ernest Engman

MSG (Retired) US Army

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2008 2:30 PM
To: members08@bmta.org
Subject: Vacancy on the BMTA Board

All BMTA members:

In our club bylaws, Article IV, Section 9 which specifically addresses the expulsion of
a board member states 'Any member of the Board may be removed by a majority vote
of the entire Board of Directors.' At present the entire board consists of 16 members.
A total of 9 members of the board voted for the expulsion of Bill Ristom from the board,
two voted against explusion and there was one abstention. The four unacountted for
votes, if submitted, probably would have been against expulsion or abstensions.
The board regrets having to make this decision as Bill has long been a valuable and
hard-working member. It is important to note that Bill is still a member of the BMTA
and may still address the board via email or in person at the next regularly scheduled
board meeting regarding this action.

--
Betty J Petty , President
PO Box 447
Ooltewah, TN 37363
bjpetty1@bellsouth.net

댓글목록 0

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.
전체 2,002 건 - 1 페이지
제목
홍보 7,919 2006.03.13
애틀랜타 앤디 6,109 2004.05.14